Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney experienced in commercial litigation.
10285032

I HAVE A DENTAL LAB. RENTING A ROOM INSIDE THE DENTIST' OFFICE

Customer Question

I HAVE A DENTAL LAB. RENTING A ROOM INSIDE THE DENTIST' OFFICE FOR THE PAST 10 YEARS. SUDDENLY, DR. STARTED NOT PAYING THE SALES TAX ON THE ISSUED INVOICES. HE DOES NOT EXPLAIN WHY. I HAVE CONTACTED BOE AND TOLD ME THAT IT IS A LAW THAT DR. MUST PAY THE SALES TAX. BOE (BOARD OF EQ.) INDICATED WHERE, OR WHAT PAG IS WRITTEN IN THE SALES TAX LAW ARTICLES FOR DR. TO READ.
BOE TOLD ME TO TELL DR.THAT HE HAS TO HAVE A SALES TAX EXEMPT CERTIFICATE FROM BOE INDICATING WHY.
I KEPT ASKING DR. FOR THIS CERTIFICATE, BUT HE DOES NOT PROVIDE IT TO ME AND NOT SAYING ABOUT THIS ISSUE, AND CONTINUING NOT PAYING THE SALES TAX. I DO NOT UNDERSTAND WHY HE IS NOT PAYING.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
He is in breach of contract for not paying the entire bill and you can sue him for not paying the tax portion of the bill. If he tries to evict you or is raising your rent in retaliation for you demanding full payment, then you can sue for that retaliation in addition to the tax money due, since you are liable to pay that tax.
So your recourse, since paying that tax is your responsibility is that you would have to sue him to collect and you can allege retaliation as well for you complaining he was not paying his full bills as required.