CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Lawyer
Experience:  I am a civil litigation attorney representing individuals and businesses.
71563194

I misunderstood the price of a diamond ring before purchase.

Customer Question

I misunderstood the price of a diamond ring before purchase. When I discovered the purchase price was different than I thought, I contacted both the store & credit card to request an immediate refund. How can I insure that I get a refund?
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 year ago.
Dear Customer, thank you for using our service. I would like to assist you today. Responses may have a short delay for review and research.
Check the store's sales policy, and return policy.
Most stores will permit returns, particularly when you have not taken delivery of the product.
If the confusion was due to the store misrepresenting something, you have a cause of action for "fraud in the inducement" permitting you to "void the sale"
However, if it is due solely to your mistake, this is referred to as "unilateral mistake" and is not a basis to force the store to unwind the transaction.
Most stores will work with you to ensure that you are satisfied with your purchase (if you are still interested in purchasing something from them, just not that item, they may be more willing to come up with a resolution than if you are just canceling the sale - this type of negotiation assumes that the purchase contract doesn't allow you to simply cancel the sale).