CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Lawyer
Experience:  I am a civil litigation attorney representing individuals and businesses.
71563194

A summary judgment was issued against me in NYC for

Customer Question

Hello, a summary judgment was issued against me in NYC for failure to appear at an Arbitration hearing in a real estate partnership transaction in March 2015. Basically, the other partner is currently moving to have my name removed from the deed and to have me evicted in Orange County NY where the property is located. The other half of the case is that the property is in the foreclosure process, where we are both attempting to keep the residence individually. In other words, he has an attorney and I have an attorney for the foreclosure defense. However, I appear to be at a huge disadvantage because of the summary judgment issued by the AAA. If the Orange County Court enforces the judgment, that leaves me in the toilet
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 year ago.
Dear Customer, I assume that you have discussed this matter with your attorney.I am not sure what additional information you are looking for here. To help you determine the impact of the AAA decision on your subsequent decision, an attorney would need to evaluate both to see what (if any) implications of res judicata or collateral estoppel would apply, as well as trying to identify any basis to attack the AAA default.I would be more than happy to answer any general legal questions you may have, but currently I do not see anything that I can assist you with, unfortunately you have captured the essence of a very difficult and protracted legal battle that was allowed to take place in multiple forums - which can result in contradictory results.Your local attorney is almost certainly going to be the best source of information to help you unravel your situation, but if you do have a general question, please let me know and I would be more than happy to help.I do wish you the best in this matter, and hopefully there will be a remedy to this situation (with a default in the mix, there likely will at least be an option - both courts and arbitrators prefer to hear matters on the merits).