CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Lawyer
Experience:  I am a civil litigation attorney representing individuals and businesses.
71563194

Our home insurance company is refusing to pay a claim because

Customer Question

our home insurance company is refusing to pay a claim because we did not use a contractor from their "internal" list of "verified" contractors. At the time of the damage my wife and I were only following reccomendations from the Hartford representatives we were given to talk to. There was then nor is now no "published literature" to our knowledge regarding this "verified" contractor requirement or listing. We used multiple contracters for this claim--everyone of which the Hartford representatives recommended, again with no mention of "verified". This one contractor made a major error in his repair causing thousands in damages. We were informed by the Hartford representative that recommended hin that the work of any contractor recommended by the Hartford would be guaranteed for 3 years by the Hartford.
Is there any way to pursue this??
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 year ago.
Insurance claims are inherently difficult because the contracts themselves (your policy and any associated documentation) are voluminous, and require careful review in order to give you a definitive statement of your legal position.In general, I think that even if you do not have a clear contractual claim, you do at least have a basis to recover "in equity" ("fairness" principles). These quasi contractual principles will allow you to recover when there is no clear contractual right, and you have "reasonably relied" on the statements made by the insurance carrier representatives.I would recommend contacting a local attorney and asking for a consultation (you don't have to hire them to prosecute your claim, you likely can do this yourself as it is not going to be big enough to warrant retaining counsel), but having an attorney help you go through your policy and the specifics of your case is going to be helpful when you form a strategy to deal with this and coming up with a more detailed analysis of your position (again, these cases hinge on the very specific language in your policy - so it is not something that is easily dealt with in "general forums" such as this - and a local attorney is going to be your best bet - but as a general matter, I think that you have at least a reasonable chance at a recovery, and that the money spent in a consultation will be well worth it.You can find local attorneys using the State and local Bar Association directories, or private directories such as www.AVVO.com; www.FindLaw.com; or www.Martindale.com (I personally find www.AVVO.com to be the most user friendly).
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Did not read far enough and send "not nice" comment about cancelling credit. Please excuse. Under a lot of stress current time. Currently checking out very nice recommendations.
You are welcome, and I do wish you the best with this matter.
Thank you for using our forum, and please do not forget to rate my service so that I can receive credit for assisting you.
Thank you again, and again I wish you the best.
Bill