RobertJDFL, Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced in multiple areas of the law.
18284290

I just gave American Cash Awards money!!! Aahhgg!!!!(###) ###-####!!

Customer Question

I just gave American Cash Awards money!!! Aahhgg!!!!(###) ###-####!! They are calling me back tomorrow!! Another#***-***-****!! Report this to who??? BBB?
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question.
Unfortunately, as it seems like you have learned, this is a scam. No real prize company, lottery or award would require you to send money or pay any money to collect your prize. Normally, the scammers want you to wire the funds as well, since once sent, the money cannot be traced. I am sorry you were victimized. We see A LOT of customers on here who have been convinced by very, very clever scams like this, please do not feel bad.
The people running this scam are operating in a foreign country (which may or may not even be Jamaica), and it's not a legitimate company, so don't report this to the BBB. It is a crime, plain and simple. First of all, file a police report with the authorities. If nothing else, you may be able to write off the money you sent on your taxes as a loss with a police report filed (consult your accountant on this, as I am not a tax attorney).
Secondly, the FBI works in conjunction with the National White Collar Crime Center to try to track down scammers like this and shut them down for good. You can file a complaint with them on the website that they run, which is www.ic3.gov. The link to file a fraud complaint is here:
http://www.ic3.gov/complaint/default.aspx
If you need further information, kindly use the REPLY feature, and I'll be happy to assist you further. Thank you.