Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney experienced in commercial litigation.
10285032

I traded in a up to date non-operated vehicle new car

Customer Question

I traded in a up to date non-operated vehicle for a new car at a car dealership here in CA. I was charged registration fees for the three years it was non-op but not penatly fees. The car was put on a Flatebed Truck to take it there. Was I responible for these fees?
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
California law requires vehicles to be currently registered if they are driven, towed, stored, or parked on public roads or highways at any time during the registration period. If the registered owner decides to register the vehicle, full registration renewal fees are due.
So, even though it was towed on a flatbed to the dealer and not driven, the registration fees are still due, thanks to CA's ridiculous laws and the fact they are so desperate for money they charge people for everything under the sun.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
my understanding is even if the vehicle was towed the non op still applies. it was used as a trade in at least that was what we were told when we put it on non-op.as long as its not driven.
Thank you for your reply.
I am afraid that according to CA DMV, the wording I quoted above applies and it says if it is driven, TOWED, stored or parked on a road, then the registration fee is due. That is direct from the CA DMV law, not a sentence I made up.