Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney experienced in commercial litigation.
10285032

I live in Minnesota. Due to a automobile DWI I have an ignition

Customer Question

I live in Minnesota. Due to a automobile DWI I have an ignition Interlock system installed in my car. I want to be careful as the device is being uninstalled in 15 days.
Can I drive my boat without the device being installed on it?
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
You cannot install the interlock on a boat in MN under the MN DMV Interlock Program guidelines. As you cannot install the device, if you do not require a license to operate the boat, then you can drive your boat as long as you have no other restrictions (such as your DUI was for DUI on a boat). Under MN law, a person does not need a driver's license to operate a boat so the driver would not need to install an ignition interlock system on his boat, unless the court placed a specific restriction on the person's ability to operate a boat in its sentencing order. As a general rule in MN, judges do not impose restrictions on that person's ability to operate a boat.