CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Lawyer
Experience:  I am a civil litigation attorney representing individuals and businesses.
71563194

I purchased a volvo 2008 with a 124000 miles ,000 gave

Customer Question

I purchased a volvo 2008 with a 124000 miles for 11,000 gave 30 % down with as is sign,360 is my monthly payment just made my second payment the car is already needs almost 4500 in repairs i am with out a car and the car lot owner told me that i had no
rights as soon ias i drive it off the lot it was mine even if it brakes down after an hour ,I still owe them 8,000 what are my rights if any,as a consumer it seems unfair that this small lots can get away with this .
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 year ago.
The dealer is largely correct - once you purchase the automobile, the risk of loss transfers from the seller to the buyer, so if it breaks down after you purchase it, the dealer is not required to compensate you.There are some limitations to the "as is" sales though, this article describes some of the protections available to you, I would recommend reviewing this article, see if there is something that occurred in your transaction that appears to contradict the state law as discussed here, and then follow up with the dealer (if necessary filing a BBB claim, followed by a small claims suit). http://www.lacsn.org/practice-areas/consumer-rights-project/car-information/34-buying-a-used-carMost dealers are careful to avoid making misrepresentations that put them at risk of violating the law, but that doesn't mean it doesn't happen, so review the above article and see if there is a possible claim that can protect you here.