CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Lawyer
Experience:  I am a civil litigation attorney representing individuals and businesses.
71563194

I purchased a Toyota Sienna van with handicap ramp built by

Customer Question

I purchased a Toyota Sienna van with handicap ramp built by Braun. The ramp portion cost about $30,0000.00 . The remote control for the ramp has failed every month since I bought the car in July 2014. Braun has admitted that they have problem with ramp, and has offered customers $100.00 for the inconvenience of constant repairs. They say their engineers are working on a fix. I feel they should not have sold a product that is defective. Do I have a case?
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 year ago.
Yes, you can sue them for breach of contract/product liability. Unfortunately this will take some time (for the amount in question you would be in unlimited civil court where cases take 2-3 years to get to settlement or judgment). Short of that, you can also consider mediation (contact your local bar association and ask for referrals to mediators, a third party neutral should be able to set up a mediation session between you and the manufacturer to help you resolve this dispute short of litigation, whether that involves them replacing your disfunctional unit with another one that works, or compensating you more fairly, but mediation is a good way to help you come up with a better resolution than $100/mo while your ramp is out of service).