CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Lawyer
Experience:  I am a civil litigation attorney representing individuals and businesses.
71563194

I had a semi-truck leased out to a company about 4 months

Customer Question

I had a semi-truck leased out to a company about 4 months ago, but business slowed down that the truck was not even working. so I decided to pull it out from the company. I get a letter from company that I owe $3,000 worth of repairs and I have never signed any of the repairs the truck had. I was not notified. What should I do?
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 year ago.
Check your lease documents carefully - there should be a provision governing repairs - this will tell you who is responsible for making repairs on the vehicle, and whether or not you are entitled to notification prior to making any such repairs.While on its face, it appears that $3 grand in repairs is unreasonable without consent, this is a commercial transaction, so the rules are less protective than in consumer transactions, so you need to be more proactive in reviewing your contract documents and provisions and carefully check what the rules are between you and the company. If they were required to give you notice, and failed to do so - you don't have to pay. On the other hand, if they were permitted to make necessary repairs without notification (and the repairs are reasonably necessary) you would be required to pay. The gray area would be if they are permitted to make repairs, and you aren't convinced the repairs were actually necessary, in which case you may be able to negotiate a resolution.