Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Lawyer
Experience:  Practicing for over 20 years and handled many cases and trials for consumers.
11068102

I grabbed my mail today and saw and advertisement

Customer Question

I grabbed my mail today and saw and advertisement for window cleaning, and they have my home,,,,car & boat on the postcard, without consent...was shocked to say the least when I saw it...do I have any rights?
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ive sent picture of advertisement
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts.
I need you to be more specific in your question(s) if you could. When we answer general ones like "what are my rights" or "what are my options" we have to give general answers and, invariably, the customer responds with "I already knew that". This type of forum works better if you ask specific questions so we know exactly what you are looking for.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Oh. Ok. Are they allowed to use picture of our house in their marketing material without our permission. Thank you
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.
There is no law against it. Essentially the law allows them to take pictures and use those pictures so long as it is something that can be seen from a public location.
While the laws are changing somewhat on this, it's unlikely it will ever change to prevent them from taking a picture of a location and using it which is the reason Google is investing so much in its street view technology, etc.