Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

So in jan 2015 my car was stolen and vandalized i have full

Customer Question

hi so in jan 2015 my car was stolen and vandalized i have full coverage with 0 deductible, after it was recovered, i picked a shop and had the car towed to it the shop said they would gladly inspect the car and send an estimate to my insurance (state farm). i gave the shop state farm info then same day called state farm and gave them the info of the shop it was at.
On 2/3 the shop called State Farm Claims and asked for an emailed estimate. State Farm sent it right away. In the estimate State Farm stated that if there was more work that needed to be done they would have to provide a supplemental estimate.
On 2/12 the shop called State Farm Claims and asked for copies of the estimates again for both claims. State Farm emailed it again.
On 4/29 the shop called to ask if State Farm had received the supplement. State Farm replied that they did not get it yet.
On 5/4 State Farm received the supplement.
On 5/7 State Farm mailed the checks to you.
i now have the checks to cover the costs for the repairs that need to be done but the shop is now stating that they are charging storage fees of $40.00 a day from jan 14almost ($4,000) in addition to the cost of the estimated repairs. Unfortunately there is nothing State Farm can do about the storage fees. The contract states that State Farm will pay for storage temporarily at the beginning of the claim until a body shop is chosen. Once the body shop is chosen and commits to repairing the vehicle there should not be any storage fees charged. There is nothing in the State Farm contract for payment of this type of charge. and of course the shop would not and will not start work on the car until they receive payment of the estimate and now payment of the "storage" this is all happening in C.A.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hello: This isCustomer I am a licensed Attorney and I will be assisting you today.
You have a claim against the repair shop. They should not be charging for storage since they received information from your insurance company to proceed with the repairs.
You need to let your claims specialist know what the repair shop is trying to do to see if the issue can be resolved without further delay for your repair. Otherwise, you may file complaint against the repair shop with the Bureau of Automotive Repair, and also the Better Business Bureau:
http://www.smogcheck.ca.gov/Consumer/Complaints/index.html
http://www.bbb.org