Legalease
Legalease, Lawyer
Experience:  13 years experience in Consumer Protection law, in particular construction law and auto repo law
20355756

I am on H1B visa at US, my ex employer sued me in court for

Customer Question

I am on H1B visa at US, my ex employer sued me in court for liquidated damage , I wanted to know if I fight the case in court, will this affect 1. my amended petition (H1B) for future. 2. will this affect my green card prospects
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Legalease replied 1 year ago.
Hello there.
-
THere will be no repercussions or actions taken against you by the US government immigration department if you defends against a lawsuit brought against you. You have every right to defend yourself to the best of your ability and you can do it without using a lawyer (pro se defendant) or you can hire a lawyer to defend against charges brought by your ex employer. My suggestion is because you are still new to the US and our laws and court systems that you should hire a local employment law attorney in your county to assist you with this case. A person is generally better off when they use an attorney. To find an employment law attorney near you , you should contact your local county bar association (they are online) or contact the clerk's office where the case has been filed and in either place you should be able to get a short list of employment lawyers who practice in the area covered by that particular court.
-
Please let me know if you have any follow up questions on any of these points. If not, can you please press a positive rating underneath this ANSWER box so I will be paid for my time assisting you tonight. I am paid NOTHING unless you press a positive rating below in the ratings section (the middle smile or star, the fourth smile or star or the fifth smile or star buttons). Pressing a positive rating will NOT cost you any additional money -- it simply acts as the trigger to Just Answer to pay me for my time assisting you tonight by paying me a small portion of the deposit/payment made by you.
-
THANK YOU VERY MUCH
-
MARY
Expert:  Legalease replied 1 year ago.
Hello there.
-
-
-
THANK YOU VERY MUCH
-
MARY