Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

I have just been informed that my graduate program allows students

Customer Question

I have just been informed that my graduate program allows students to take a leave of absence and to still graduate as long as they pay the last three trimesters of their tuition before graduating. I have completed all coursework and requirements toward completing my graduate degree except my dissertation. I have received no services from my school over these last three years I have been working on and off on my dissertation but have continued to pay tuition because I though if I did not I would no longer be able to obtain my degree. I have asked other students present and past at the school whether they have heard of this policy as well as educators at the school and they are unaware of it. Is there any precedent for me to get my money back-which now totals over $30,000 for the past three years?
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hello: This is PhillipsEsq. I am a licensed Attorney and I will be assisting you today.
Are you saying that you have not been able to confirm what you have just been informed?
Kindly clarify
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have just been informed of this policy and no one I have spoken to at the institution-professors-or students-past or present-have been aware of it. It was only the finance office at the school that made me aware if this policy about a week ago. I had forgotten to pay my winter tuition and they said that was fine as long as I paid my next three trimesters prior to graduation. Wondering then if I can collect any paid tuition for which I received no services from the school and was not actively working on my dissertation though they have told me they paid my chairs for this period of time. I have emails that were not responded to by my chair-a professor at the school-and let my dissatisfaction with the lack of support I received be known to professors and school staff-never administrators-on several occasions over the past three years. Wondering if I might at the very least use this paid tuition for my next two trimesters I will need to pay to graduate. It seems to me that administrators should let this policy he known to students.. Finally, if I cannot get a refund for the tuition but could apply it and the rate has gone up, would paying the difference make sense?
Thank you for the information:
Response: You need to make your formal request to the Bursar's office--your finance office and see what happens. You can request for reimbursement of tuition paid or in the alternative ask for the tuition to be used for your future bills because you just learned about this policy and it is not fair to have paid tuition when you did not have to and more importantly when you did not receive satisfactory services from the school.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I appreciate that advice, but do you know of any precedent in which people have had a similar situation? Are there specific rights I have and laws that protect me when my schools policies are not transparent?
I will opt out and give another Attorney the opportunity to further assist you. I am going offline at this time.
Best wishes