Infolawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses.
11313492

My dad and I just signed used car loan 2008 Dodge

Customer Question

My dad and I just signed for a used car loan for a 2008 Dodge Magnum SXT from Zeigler Honda Dealership less than 2 weeks ago. Yesterday, May 17, 2015, I tried to unlock the car with the Key Fob, it did not work. I also tried the valet key to unlock the door and nothing happened. I looked up the VIN on May 18, 2015 and this car has an open recall on the ignition and the key fob.
The recall was initiated in 9/2014. Chrysler is providing a temporary fix but no permanent fix is available at this time according to Chrysler safety recall P57/NHTSA 14V-567. I spoke with the Parts manager at North town Dodge dealership this afternoon in person and he stated that the key housing was broken (I attempted to change the battery) and we would need to pay $160 for a new key housing and an additional fee of $75 to program the key. The manager reviewed the information he gave us with his supervisor. The parts supervisor stated that the key may not reprogram and this issue with the key and ignition can happen again even if the key does accept the reprogramming. So I have a car I cannot unlock and I cannot drive. Therefore it is doing me no good. I am paying $204 for a car payment and $265 for the insurance per month. The car has too many issues concerning the smart key entry and the ignition. There is no "permanent fix" to remedy the situation. I do have a Limited Warranty New York State Used Vehicle Dealer. Would I be able to return the car under the lemon law or the 'warranty'. If I am having this major problem now...and no permanent fix, I do Not want this car. Please help me in this situation.
John Gartley (son)
Gary Gartely (father)
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts.
Is there a specific question with which I could assist?