Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney,16 years experience in consumer protection areas
19958803

I bumped into a friends car in my driveway. Tried to fix it

Customer Question

I bumped into a friends car in my driveway. Tried to fix it off book then I balked at $3500 cash up front to start the work. Submitted a claimed to my insurance company. They responded instantly. He responded that he is going to get th repairs done his way, not devalued because of age etc. And if the insurance co won't pay, I'm personally responsible
My position is that it's up to the insurance co. I filled a claim.
Also. The car was parked in my driveway by someone he had "lent" the car to. My friend, the owner, was out of town when this occurred.
I'm thinking I'm going to need a personal lawyer before this is done.
What kind am I looking for?
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.
.
If your insurance company has been notified and filed a claim, then it would be up to them to settle the claim with friend for whatever damages that he can prove. Under your insurance policy, they have a duty to defend you in court if the car owner tried to sue you for any other damages.
.
But as part of any payment the insurance would issue, they will require your friend to sign off on a release and waiver of any further action against them or you for the claim.
.
So at this point, your insurance company should handle this and there is no need for you to retain an attorney.
.
.
thanks