Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Lawyer
Experience:  Practicing for over 20 years and handled many cases and trials for consumers.
11068102

Does insurance company have to send a notice to a lien holder

Customer Question

Does insurance company have to send a notice to a lien holder within 10 days of auto cancellation? If they didn’t, would the insurance company still have to honor a lien holders claim?
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts.
What state are you in?
Also, have you read the policy of insurance?
Did the lienholder send a notification of the lien to the insurance company?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OH
Yes
Yes, we were listed as loss payee
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.
If you are listed as the lienholder with the insurance company and the loss payee then you should have been notified of the cancellation of the policy of insurance.
However, the law only requires that they mail notice, not that you receive notice. If they fail to send notice then they would be responsible for paying any losses you suffered due to cancellation of the policy although if sued they could attempt to place the blame on the policyholder.
What the insurance company will claim is that you were sent notice. Usually they do this by using a set of documents that counts the number of pieces of mail that were sent and then they have a copy of the notice that they will claim you were sent.