Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
26798026

These people called last night saying I won $3.4 million $

Customer Question

These people called last night saying I won $3.4 million $ in the American cash awards lottery which I told them is a scam is this true?
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to say, yes, this is a scam. First, lotteries do not—and cannot—contact winners. The only way to enter a lottery is to buy a ticket, which requires handing over a cash payment. No identifying information is given. Therefore, the lottery might know if a winning ticket is out there, but they'd never know who bought it. They also wouldn't have your phone number.
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
This is called "advance fee fraud," and it's unfortunately very common. They try to convince you that you've won some huge, life-changing sum of money, but you have to pay an upfront fee to get it. That's also not how lotteries work. Lotteries are heavily regulated. Any expenses are paid off the top from sales before a jackpot is issued. If you choose to have taxes withheld, they're taken from the earnings, not paid upfront by you. If people had to pay taxes on their lottery winnings upfront, no one could ever afford to win.
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
The state department has issued warnings about this scam.http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/english/emergencies/scams/lottery.html You did the best possible thing in telling them you knew it was a scam. If you have any questions or concerns about what I've written, please reply without rating so I may address them. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively to redirect a portion of the payment you have already made so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.