Marsha411JD, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed Attorney with 29 yrs exp with Consumer Law issues
19127644

I have been dealing with a scam or the last 3 months. I was

Customer Question

I have been dealing with a scam or the last 3 months. I was supposed to have won over
$2,000,000.00 in a sweepstakes. However first I was to pay $18,000.00 to receive it, then
they lowered it to $150.00, Now it is up to $250.00. The calls are coming from Jamaica, private phone and I even got a call from Washington DC saying was an FBI agent, etc. The only thing is the voices are all Jamaican. I have told them it is illegal for them to ask for money if I had won this sweepstakes and they told me it was a certain kind of fee that they had to charge to release the money. One even volunteered to take me to Post Office to get a money order for them. After repeatedly saying I am not sending money, but just send me my winnings, I don't get a response. They hangup. Most of the time I no longer answer the phone when I recognize the number. What else should I do?
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Marsha411JD replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the information and your question. You were correct to trust your instincts on this since it is clearly a scam. If you have not already reported the scam you can do so by filing a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission. You can find more information on these types of scams and the link for filing your complaint by going to: http://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0199-prize-scams
You might also, if you want to try to get the phone calls to stop, try speaking to your telephone company and alerting them to the scam numbers if you have caller ID. All of the phone carriers are aware of the Jamaican scam calls (along with many from other places in the world).
Please feel free to ask for clarification if needed.
Hello again,
I wanted to touch base with you and make sure that you did not have any follow up questions for me from the answer I provided to you on the 13th. For some unknown reason, the Experts are not always getting replies or ratings (in the pop up box, which is how we get credit (paid) for our work) that the customer thinks have gone through. In your case I received neither. If you are having technical difficulties with reading, replying or rating, please let me know so that I can inform the Site administrator.
In any event, it was a pleasure assisting you and I would be glad to attempt to assist you further on this issue, or a new legal issue, if needed. You can bookmark my page at: http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-marsha411jd/
Thank you.