Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Lawyer
Experience:  18+ years of NYS litigation experience.
18321761

Is it illegal to record a video with my phone. I'm not

Customer Question

Hi, Is it illegal to record a video with my phone. I'm not hiding it. It out on my hand. It's in plain view. While I'm Recording it I was moving my hand recording other stuff. But I was having a conversation while it was recording with my iphone? Do I
need the other party permission to record? It happened at a mobile gas station.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the reason why I took out my phone and start recording was the clerk. The clerk was being very disrespectful. I was being with nice with normal volume. Asking him for a coffee. He just keep looting me. Even a person he was support behind me, somehow he served him before me. I told him that and the other guy. And the other guy tried help me asked him for my coffee too. He purposely ignored me.
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 year ago.
Massachusetts is a two-party consent state when it comes to recording audio and video tapes. You would need his permission to record him.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
so why Can cops and security camera record me without my permission.../
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 year ago.
Different laws apply under those circumstances. Stores and police are allowed surveillance cameras except in areas where you have an expectation of privacy.