Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney experienced in commercial litigation.
10285032

I signned a funeral arrangement contract yesterday and now

Customer Question

I signned a funeral arrangement contract yesterday and now I want to change to a different company. They say I can't. Do I have a timeframe in which I can brake a financial agreement contract
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
There is no 3 day right of rescission in this type of contract under NY law, contrary to what many people believe. Under NY law, when someone signs a contract, they are held to have read and agreed to the terms contained in that contract.
Thus, in a contract of this nature, you have to look at what is written in the contract as to whether or not there is a cancellation provision in the contract. If there is no cancellation provision in the contract, then the parties remain to be bound to the contract they signed.
The court's hold what you are saying above about finding a better price as "benefit of the bargain," and prior to agreeing to a contract the onus is on the buyer to do their due diligence as they are bound once they sign their name unless the contract has a clause allowing refund or cancellation of the contract.