Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney experienced in commercial litigation.
10285032

It's 2015 ; is there now a buyer's remorse contract cancellation in North Caroli

Customer Question

It's 2015 ; is there now a buyer's remorse contract cancellation in North Carolina ?
On Friday afternoon , May 8 , a rep from Truly Nolan Pest Control Company came to my door; did not have any hands-on paper work , only a computer pad . Didn't mention it was Auto-Pay with my credit card ; did not mention it was a "tentative 12 month contract" ; misrepresented the 30 day cancellation specifics at first. Pushed for service to be the next day , Saturday but didn't give me any way to contact him or the service rep . Emailed me the signed contract & once I reviewed it that night , I didn't agree with the above ; I tried to call numerous numbers but they're closed completely on the weekend .I emailed them & stated I was canceling the contract . On Saturday when "Mark" the service rep called to say he was running late I told him I didn't want the service ; don't come ; I was trying to contact any one at the company to no avail but would try again on Monday .
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Under NC law, for door to door unsolicited sales contracts, there is a 3 day right to cancel the contract. If they do not allow you to cancel within 3 days they are in violation of NC law and you need to notify them you will be contacting the Attorney General's Office. You need to send them a written cancellation and inform them that you are canceling within the 3 days provided for under NC law and it is a misdemeanor under NC General Statute 14-401.13 to fail to provide the cancellation information (See: http://law.justia.com/codes/north-carolina/2005/chapter_14/gs_14-401.13.html). You also need to notify your credit card company.
If they refuse to cancel, file your complaint with the NC Attorney General and if they cannot resolve the matter you can sue the company in small claims court for unfair and deceptive practices.