Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
26798026

My auto was in a body shop , while in the shop the

Customer Question

my auto was in a body shop for repairs, while in the shop the body shop caught my auto on fire and caused over 10,000 dollars in damages. the insurance company is totaling the auto.am i stillresponsible for paying the body shop for the work they did before they set my auto on fire.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Hi,I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear that this happened. No, you're not responsible for paying them for the work. The agreement that a person has when they drop a car off to be repaired is that they'll get a repaired vehicle back at the end. If they set your car on fire, even by accident, they breached the contract you made when you hired them. They actually should be paying for your car, not your insurance company (and if you have a deductible, you may be able to sue them to collect it). If you have any questions or concerns about what I've written, please reply without rating so I may address them. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively to redirect a portion of the payment you have already made so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.