Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

After being bullied at her school, my daughter became depressed

Customer Question

After being bullied at her school, my daughter became depressed and was placed under a 5150, and taken into custody in Santa Rosa. My daughter told the counselors at the school that she was already under the care of psychiatrist. They didn't notify her doctor and called me. I went to the hospital and they wanted me to sign forms that would make me responsible for all charges. I advised them that my daughter was under the care of a psychiatrist. They told me that they didn't have any beds available for her and that they might need to send her elsewhere for treatment. I objected. They told us that they would not send her anywhere without notifying us. They sent her up to Sacramento, $7,426.50 ambulance ride, because they did not have the room at Oakcrest. Is there anything I can do about this?
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Refuse to pay for the bill since they did not do what they said they were going to do: notify you before she was transferred. Also, they never notified her Doctor who would have told them what to do in that instance. She might not have been transferred to another hospital if they had spoken with her Doctor. If they sent the bill to collections, object to the validity of the debt.