Loren, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years experience in general legal matters.
17897874

Bought a used car with 70,000 miles and warranty from a dealership.

Customer Question

Bought a used car with 70,000 miles and warranty from a dealership. In less than a thousand driven miles the vehicle overheated. Pulled over had the car towed to dealership heater hoses disconnected causing the engine to overheat (they stated). Went back and forth with dealer and warranty company, regarding the damage. Finally I paid out of pocket to replace the heater hoses and coverage. Now dealer is telling me I need a new engine, because the engine over heated due to no coolant, the warranty does not want to cover it even though it states that any malfunction with the inside of engine is covered. The dealership has been the only company servicing the car. In fact on Dec. 23, 2014 when we purchased the car the had just got fully inspected and service with oil and all fluids topped off. This happen on April 6th. I still have 2,000 miles to go before I am due for service. I need assistance and recommendation on the action I may need to take.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
Good morning. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you this morning.
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
Before we begin a bit more detail would be helpful please.
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
Which state are you located?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ga
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. Do you believe that the hoses disconnecting caused the loss of coolant or that you bought the car with low coolant levels?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I believe it was low 2hen purchased. After hoses were replace coolant was replaced mechanic drove car and said the coolant is leaking from the engine not the hose.
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the additional information.I find it hard to believe the dealership would not be aware of a coolant leak in the car since the color of the fluid is so obvious on the ground.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The car is in SC with my elderly mom. Purchased it for her to get to and from Dr's appt.
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
Additionally, the car does not need a new engine because you drove it without coolant. It needs a new engine because a defect caused it to lose its coolant.
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
Is the dealer in Georgia?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Mom livees 3 mins from the dealership she broke down across the street from dealer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
SC
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
How much is the cost of the repair or replacement?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Between $3,000 to 4,000....and I'm paying a warranty
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
I would sue both the dealer and the warranty company in SC small claims court (called "Magistrate's Court")
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When the car started to overheat my mom didn't drive the car, our insurance towed the car to dealer
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
Magistrate's court is made to be user friendly. You will not need an attorney. I would also file a consumer complaint against the dealer and warranty company with the SC attorney general's office.
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
Do check the terms of the warranty carefully as far as your right to sue. You may need to go to arbitration first. In that case, I would recommend you use an attorney.
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
Did you have further questions? Have I answered your question?
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome. If you have no further questions, please remember to leave a favorable rating (Excellent or Good) so that I am credited for assisting you. A bonus is not required, but is always appreciated.