Infolawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses.
11313492

Yesterday my car was towed from a legal spot in Brooklyn.

Customer Question

Hi, yesterday my car was towed from a legal spot in Brooklyn. I was parked on the north side of a gated driveway that belongs to an apt bldg parking lot. I cleared the driveway by a few feet, my car bing parallel to the stationary part of the iron gate. My car was parked right next to the street cleaning parking regulations sign, which had no arrows on it and it was not one of the days covered by the sign. On the other side of the driveway was a no parking sign with the arrow facing the drive. There was an overly long yellow curb as well, but my understanding is yellow curbs mean nothing. By the time I figured out what happened to my car (in the day and age of automation, I see no reason why the tow pound can't send a text when they take your car), I was 2mins past the hour they close and they would not let me have my car. I intent to fight this, can I also get expenses incurred by this bogus two back, ie cab I had to take to the two pound and back, lose of pay for the time I have to take off from work..etc.. It's one thing if I was parked illegally and quite another that I was not.... And by the way, wouldn't a ticket have sufficient, how can they tow
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Samuel-II replied 1 year ago.
HelloThis is Samuel and I will discuss this and provide you information in this regard since the professional you requested is not available at this timeYes, you can sue in small claims court and request the cost of the tow and also your expenses,
Expert:  Samuel-II replied 1 year ago.
The cap on claims in NY small claims court is $5000
Expert:  Samuel-II replied 1 year ago.
I suggest you take pictures of any and all signs at the location where your car was towed from That way you can show the court that it was an illegal tow.