Gerald-Esquire
Gerald-Esquire, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years of experience
77476456

I have been terminated by my doctor. How long must they prescribe

Customer Question

I have been terminated by my doctor. How long must they prescribe my medication while I am finding Another doctor
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Gerald-Esquire replied 1 year ago.
Hello,Thank you for using Just Answer. I want to provide you the best service I can. Please feel free to ask any follow up questions you have.I am an attorney with 30 years of experience including 18 years directly involved with the regulation of healthcare practitioners (including physicians). I hope to provide you information that will help you in resolving your question.The laws are not specific on the issue of how long the physician must continue to care for a patient where the relationship is being terminated. The rule of thumb, from guidance from the American Medical Association is 30 days. Sometimes this can be longer if the patient has an unusual condition that requires specialized care. But the norm is 30 days. If the physician refuses to provide the necessary care during this time it may be considered patient abandonment. You can file a complaint with the State Board of Medicine in regard to that. Here is their link:http://www.okmedicalboard.org/ I hope the information I have provided is useful to you. I want you to be comfortable and satisfied with my attempt to assist you. Please, if you have ANY follow up questions, feel free to ask. Please note that I am generally unavailable Friday evening through Sunday. Please do not forget to give me a positive rating. It adds nothing to your costs but it helps me greatly. Thank you.If you are dissatisfied with my response PLEASE let me know before giving me a negative review so that I may try to be of better assistance. Or if you prefer, let me know and I can “Opt Out” and your question can be re-posted without additional cost to you. I will be fair to you and only ask the same from you.Good luck. Please note: Information is educational and not given as legal advice. Only your local attorney can give legal advice. I can't establish or accept an attorney-client relationship with you. All posts are available for public viewing.