LegalGems
LegalGems, Lawyer
Experience:  Research Attorney; Private Practice; Attorney Mentor; Mediator
63726236

my wife hada bad! stroke for a easter present :( she

my wife hada bad! stroke for a easter present :(
she survived bless her. has very limited mobility, if any and has hardly any speech. Prior to this, my wife wrote a living will......
and named her friend 1st before myself ( her husband). My wife is Not on Life support nor! is she on any intraveinous meds etc.
Her Friend??? who she hasn't seen for over 7 years, Tells me! The husband, (no 2 on this Living Will ) She has the power! to ? prevent further treatment of my wife!. thereby allowing My wife to Die!
Can she do this! ?? All they are short of doing! is sending someone down to my wife;s Care home! n shoving a Pillow! over her head!
Where do "I" stand! with this living Will, which is being complied with!. tnks
A angry!/sad husband!......
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  LegalGems replied 11 months ago.

LegalGems :

Hi! LegalGems here. I'll do my best to assist you.I can only provide general information, so a follow up consult with a private lawyer is recommended. I am sorry to hear of your wife's condition. The living will does vest the person named in it with the authority to make medical decisions. However, was this executed (signed) before your marriage?

LegalGems :

Also, the living will states what type of care the individual wants, and the named person must comply with it. Here's a sample: http://www.alaha.org/uploadedFiles/Resources/advdirective.pdf

LegalGems :

She can also modify/revoke it: What if I change my mind?
As long as you can speak for yourself, you can change your mind any time about what you have written down. If you make changes, tear up your old papers and give copies of any new forms or changes to everyone who needs to know. http://www.alaha.org/resources.aspx?id=33#k As long as she can convey her intent to revoke it, she can revoke it.

Customer:

Hi NO my wife completed her Living will after! we were married, as I was overseas! working a lot of the time.

Customer:

The Requets in The Living Will are being Fully complied with..........

Customer:

My wife is NOT on Life support, tho she does need 24/7 care home Care. i checked with the home yesterday. an say she is doing resonably well, bearing in mind her condition..... I am her husband! legally married, How can a ex-friend, who she hasn't seen for over 7 years! take precedent over her lawfull wedded husband! For better! or Worse! etc...... are the vows my wife an i exchanged!. The e-mails to me! saying her friend wnats to pull the Plug! on MY wife! r extremly upsetting! to say the least!.

Customer:

her friemd! ??? has threatened me! with coming down here! to see MY wife, n chack on her condition! as she doesn't appear to belive me..... an She Will make! a Decision! then ! ???????

LegalGems :

Unfortunately, a person can designate a non-spouse in their living will. However, if the individual is stating in emails that she will pull the plug, you can seek a protective order and get a judge to invalidate the Living Will. If someone is making threatening comments I doubt a judge would allow them to remain as the person authorized to make such decisions.

Customer:

n.b. Both! our names are on the Living Will, only the two names. but her friend is named first! with me 2nd!.......

LegalGems :

You as successor if something happens to friend?

Customer:

no! ? let me check brb

LegalGems :

I think you mean that you are the second proxy, so you would take over if something happened to friend. However, you can get a judge to revoke it based on threats.

LegalGems :

Then you would be first proxy.

Customer:

yes! sadly! it states if her friend. the first choice, is not available, Then its me! .....

Customer:

butt, my wife's condition complies! with her requests! in the Living will..............

LegalGems :

Probably because of the traveling issue. But again, if this "friend" is making threatening remarks, you can ask a court to excuse her as proxy.

Customer:

She is NOT on Life Support! as they/she keep sugeesting.....................

Customer:

tho she cannnot move or talk much............

LegalGems :

Who is suggesting she is on life support?

Customer:

and this Friend, hasn;t seen her for 7 years!!............??? JHer friend (no1 on the liv will) and my wife's EX family!

Customer:

who told her when she Divorced some 15 +yurs ago! She is No Longer part of this family......

Customer:

WE got married on June 18th 2001, SO! i feel she is Part! of MY family now!..... shrug not thiers!......

LegalGems :

But if your wife, being of sound mind, named her as proxy, that would be controlling. But again, your wife can revoke it by indicating that she doesn't want friend as proxy #1; or you can get a judge to invalidate her as proxy.

Customer:

if sadely! my wife's condition worsens! :( we/I will compl with this Liv Will, but! she is not their yet. Sadely my wife cannot speak.......... :( now, very well at all............

LegalGems :

Can she "X" it out?

Customer:

an hasn't done! since she had her stroke...............

Customer:

Possibly, is there a special form req for this........ ? or jus get my wife to hold the pen and help her X it out ? ;)

LegalGems :

She would need to do it on her own. Or make some kind of indication that she wants it revoked.

Customer:

gotcha.......... sadly..... she may not be able to do this.......

Customer:

So a No1 on a Livin will form............ takes Precednce Over! the Husband! ???

LegalGems :

Maybe with some rehab - the good thing is that she must comply with the terms of the living will. But yes, since your wife was of sound mind, she can designate whoever she chose to serve in that capacity.

Customer:

or i'd have to apply to a judge! to change it.............. Wow!............

LegalGems :

Yes, that is correct. Unfortunately.

Customer:

for Better! or Worse, are the Wedding Vowels we took........... "I" am Legally responsible! for her Medical Bills.................. yet! "I" am unable! to make this Life or Death decision............ given to a EX friend..... she hasn't seen! for over seven bleedin years!................ Sigh :)

Customer:

Thanks for the advice :)

Customer:

but! as you say............

Customer:

WE/I am compling with my wife's Living Will, at present......

Customer:

her friend is being told she's on Life support....... Which she is not! an any Hosp. Doc. would only use for a week or two! anyway............

Customer:

thansk again :)

LegalGems :

You are welcome. I know it is frustrating. I would send an email to whoever is giving the misinformation - because that is also a concern.

Customer:

yes! thanks I already did that a few days ago...........

LegalGems :

OK perfect.

Customer:

and the reply was, she is going to come here an Check! to see how my wife is!... Re the Living Will, and her Responsability! huh! what about Mine! :)

Customer:

ah well..... thanks ;)

Customer:

over n out! for now! :)

Customer:

i didn't like her inferance, that "I" was Lying........... about MY Wife's condition....

Customer:

an SHE would come down here to check!!!.......... huh! :)

LegalGems :

Oh. That would be very hard to deal with someone that insensitive. Let's hope your wife recovers, and is able to revoke this.

LegalGems, Lawyer
Experience: Research Attorney; Private Practice; Attorney Mentor; Mediator