How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question

Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Satisfied Customers: 96751
Experience:  Attorney experienced in commercial litigation.
Type Your Consumer Protection Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

On 8/7/2012 I signed an apartment lease in Wichita Falls, TX.

Resolved Question:

On 8/7/2012 I signed an apartment lease in Wichita Falls, TX. The term on the lease was 6 months and the manager hand-wrote a change to a 5 month lease as I advised her the job I was on was ending in December. I paid prorated August rent beginning 8/9/2012, a $150 deposit and an additional non-refundable pet deposit of another $150. I verbally gave the manager notice when November rent was paid that I would not be renewing the lease when it expired in December and she thanked me for the notice. I paid full December rent and departed on 12/20/2012. When I turned in my keys, I had a ledger credit of $212.18. I advised her some cleaning would be needed due to my dog. No mention or discussion regarding any additionall charges or penalties was made. My forwarding address was on file with the manager. I never received a final accounting of the deposit, but was not concerned due to the small amount and the knowledge that they would do some cleaning. Ten months later, October 2013, I received a notice from a collection agency claiming I owe $1,835.71 to the apartment complex. I disputed this and requested details. I received a statement outlining $210.31 was deducted from deposit for cleaning and final water bill, which I do not dispute. Additional disputed charges totaling $1,987.58 are: $242.58 Insufficient Notice Penalty Charges, $635.00 Lease Termination Fee, $600.00 Lost Rent/No Notice and $510.00 Reletting Fee/No Notice. I have moved twice since this time and am not presently able to locate my copy of the lease. I need to know how to proceed. Thank you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

You need to send them a letter disputing the charges and demand they send you a copy of the lease proving the debt. The problem you have is not having the copy of the lease. Without the copy of the lease you might end up having to sue them in court in Texas for breach of contract to prove the fact that your lease was only for 5 months, as this is right now only your word without a copy of the lease. You need to try to contact the manager to get a copy of your old lease. If they cannot produce a lease either, then this is good for you as well because then you can argue they have no copy to prove their claims either. Unfortunately, you will need an attorney in Texas to represent you on this issue, but from what your above statement says you should end up being able to defeat them in court on breach of contract.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

This is NOT the practice of law nor is it legal advice to you, it is merely educational information for you to use to seek out a licensed attorney in your state to get actual legal advice from them. Please use sites such as or or to find a local attorney to get actual legal advice in all matters.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you. XXXXX am now in California, is it possible for me to deal with the Texas courts long-distance? Is there any statute on the time the debt can be claimed or what is considered a "reasonable" fee?

Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your response.

TX will require personal appearance which is why I said you will need an attorney there to assist you. They have 4 years to sue over this debt in Texas under the statute of limitations. Reasonable fees for damages are based on whatever the reasonable cost of cleaning and repairs were. As far as the other fees to charge them to you they have to be set in your lease.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Satisfied Customers: 96751
Experience: Attorney experienced in commercial litigation.
Law Educator, Esq. and 5 other Consumer Protection Law Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
< Last | Next >
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK

Meet The Experts:

  • Infolawyer


    Satisfied Customers:

    Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses.
< Last | Next >
  • Infolawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses.
  • Ely's Avatar


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
  • Tina's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    17 years legal experience including consumer protection law.
  • FiveStarLaw's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    25 years of private practice
  • Barrister's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Attorney with 14 years experience in various consumer protection areas
  • P. Simmons's Avatar

    P. Simmons


    Satisfied Customers:

    16+ yrs. of legal experience.
  • Andrea, Esq.'s Avatar

    Andrea, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    25 yrs. of experience in employment law, real estate and business law, family law, criminal defense and immigration.

Related Consumer Protection Law Questions

Chat Now With A Consumer Protection Lawyer
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq.
Attorney At Law
5374 Satisfied Customers
Attorney experienced in commercial litigation.