How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Satisfied Customers: 114803
Experience:  Attorney experienced in commercial litigation.
Type Your Consumer Protection Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was T-boned by a driver that ran a stop sign. He admitted

This answer was rated:

I was T-boned by a driver that ran a stop sign. He admitted fault as well as several witnesses that saw what happened. When I went to renew my insurance a month later I was informed my premium went up $400.00 a year because I was no longer considered a good driver and even though the accident was no blame of my own, My premiums went up. This in CA. I read nothing in CA law that states this act to be legal. Can you tell me what protection I have against this practice.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

If the accident was not your fault, then it should not have been charged to you as a fault accident to cause an increase in your premiums. You need to start by sending a written appeal letter to the insurer with a copy of the police report and witness names to show this accident was not your fault and as such holding it against you is breach of contract. If they refuse to reconsider, you need to file a complaint with the Department of Insurance against the insurance company.

Finally, if they cannot resolve this matter, I am afraid you would need an attorney and would have to file a civil suit against the insurer for breach of contract for improperly raising your rates for a non-chargeable accident.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

This is NOT the practice of law nor is it legal advice to you, it is merely educational information for you to use to seek out a licensed attorney in your state to get actual legal advice from them. Please use sites such as or or to find a local attorney to get actual legal advice in all matters.
Law Educator, Esq. and 3 other Consumer Protection Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Consumer Protection Law Questions