Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney,16 years experience in consumer protection areas
19958803

I sign a contract with a contractor to get my roof done and

I sign a contract with a contractor to get my roof done and get skylights install the contract stated he was licensed and insured he also claimed he got the proper permit to do the work I found out his license expired he did not get the the proper permit I give him a down payment buy now I want to cancel is the contract binding
Hello and welcome! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.
.
Have you notified the contractor that you want to cancel the contract and want your deposit back?
.
Do you have a copy of the written contract for the work to be done that says he is licensed and insured?
.
If so, what is the contractor's response to your request for a refund?
.
.
Thanks
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes I did notified him yes I do have a copy of the contact he will return my phone call
If the contract states that he is licensed and insured, and he it not, then you would have legal grounds to rescind the contract under a fraud and misrepresentation breach of contract claim. If he refuses to refund your deposit and can't provide proof that he is licensed and insured, your recourse would be to file a small claims court case against him for breach of contract and sue for the return of any money paid and your court costs.
.
You can also report him to any local Business Licensing Department and they can take further legal aciton against him for misrepresenting that he is licensed when he is not.
.
.
Thanks