Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience:  Experienced Licensed Attorney
26296561

I had a dealer shop perform service work on a boat and the

I had a dealer shop perform service work on a boat and the repairs and price were agreed upon verbally. The owner did not generate a signed repair order, (legal documet) for the repairs or the price quote. The shop is demanding additional funds that were not approved by me, (the customer). What are my rights to recover my property from the repair shop ?
This is in the State of Georgia.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 9 months ago.
Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to answer your question.

I am sorry to hear about this unfortunate situation.

Did the dealer perform any work or installed any parts on your boat, beyond what was agreed upon verbally?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

The origianl quote was for $500 which included diagnostic, parts, and labor. The boat is fixed, but no parts were needed. The new charge is $850-900. I did not approve additional costs, they admit they did not try to contact me to requst additional funds either. Note, there was no signed repair order generated when the boat was delivered to be repaired. I did this in person in the presence of the shop owner.

Dear XXXXX.

Thank you for your follow up.

Is the boat shop refusing to find a resolution or to release the boat to you?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

That is correct.

Dear XXXXX,

Thank you for your follow up.

Unfortunately, while the Georgia law is clear and specific when it comes to auto repairs, it doesn't cover boat repairs and there is no specific requirement for the boat repair shop to provide written estimate or obtain authorization prior to commencing repairs, so this would be considered a consumer dispute based on a verbal agreement for service.

Unfortunately, if the shop is claiming that they performed the work beyond the original quote and is demanding payment for the repair work, the shop can place a lien on the boat for the amount in dispute and the only way to force the shop to return the boat to the titled owner is to file a lawsuit in the small claims court and the judge will review all the facts and evidence from both side and will rule based on the evidence related to the verbal agreement.

Also, you can file a formal complaint against this shop with Georgia Attorney General Office and local Better Business Bureau and this agencies will investigate your complaint and will take proper action upon conclusion of their investigation.

I know this is not an answer you were hoping to hear, but please understand that I do have professional obligation to provide JustAnswer.com customers with correct answers, even when an answer is not favorable to the customer.

I wish you the best of luck!

Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience: Experienced Licensed Attorney
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Since the Georgia statute is not specific about a boat as they are about a vehicle ? What is the law if it is a verhicle ? For some reason I think it would apply, even though the law does not quote "boat" spicifically. Things work like that here some times.

Dear XXXXX,

Thank you for your follow up.

Here is the link that contains all the information for Georgia Auto Repair law and Mechanic's liens.

Thank you and I wish you the best of luck!
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Can you please post the link or send it toXXX@XXXXXX.XXX

Thank you.

http://www.georgialegalaid.org/issues/consumer-law/cars-and-driving-issues?channel=know-your-rights&category=auto-repair