John, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed and practicing attorney experienced in consumer protection law.
71296933

AA lost my Tumi bag returning to LGD from Dallas TX, I called

AA lost my Tumi bag returning to LGD from Dallas TX, I called multiple times,
filed a claims for $3918 dollars of summer clothes. I just received a check,
with a lame explanation for $1500 that credit card statements is only accepted it
it provides itemized information, I called my Credit card company, which told
me that it only provides the vendors name. I did not keep receipts of items because
I buy everything on one credit Card. There is also no one that answers any questions
at AA in the Claims Dept, so Now I have to write a letter to get an itemized list
as to what they paid, I am so frustrated, the time and energy this takes and they
assume no responsibility and rob you of the money spent on these items. what can I do?
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  John replied 11 months ago.
Sylvia,

The Department of Transportation requires airline to compensate travelers for lost baggage up to the amount of $3,300. They will require that you provide receipts as well to validate any claim. I'd suggest you have one or two options here: 1) make a detailed list of items lost with specific reference to its entry on a credit card statement; 2) consider filing a small claims action to recover whatever amount you are not able to have AA voluntarily pay you. Frankly it will cost AA more than this amount to send an attorney to defend the matter, so I'd suspect they pay you the balance once you did that. This is unfortunately the process as there is no other way to force them to compensate you for these items.

I believe this answers your question. However, if you need clarification or have follow-up questions regarding this matter, I will be happy to continue our conversation – simply reply to this answer. If you are otherwise satisfied with my response, please leave a positive rating as it is the only way I am able to get credit for my answers. Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX wish you all the best with this matter.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

How do I go about filing a small claims action against American

Airlines, can I tell them that if I do not get reimbursed the full amount

of $3300 I will do this, such a shame, that they treat their passengers

with lost bags in such a dismissive way. Thanks Sylvia

Expert:  John replied 11 months ago.
I'd attempt to work it out with them first. You can tell them that you'll sue if you don't get paid, but I'm not sure that will have any effect as they're a giant corporation and no one personally loses anything regardless of their responsiveness to your demand.

In any event, in regard to filing a lawsuit in small claims, your first step is to find your local courthouse Small Claims Department at. The courthouse clerk will give you the appropriate forms to file your claim and can help you with limited information. However, he or she cannot give you legal advice.

When you file your small claims documents, you will be asked to swear under oath that your small claims statement is true. You will also have to pay the necessary filing fees. You have the option of paying a higher fee for a jury trial. These fees generally must be paid in cash or by money order or company check. Most courts do not accept personal checks. All of these costs may be added to the amount you recover at trial, if you win.
Expert:  John replied 11 months ago.
You've had some time to review my answer, and I am sending you this follow-up to determine if you require further assistance with your matter. I believe I have answered your question to the best of my abilities. I truly enjoy helping others with my knowledge and experience, and I believe I provide a valuable service. If you agree that my response was of value to you, please support my endeavor to share my knowledge by providing a positive rating; these allow me to continue to serve customers. Providing a positive rating will not cost you any additional charge, but it will permit the website to credit me with answering your question. Otherwise, the website does not credit me with answering your question. Thanks.
John, Lawyer
Experience: Licensed and practicing attorney experienced in consumer protection law.