Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney experienced in commercial litigation.

If I wanted to buy ATVs and motorcycles (not salvaged, but

If I wanted to buy ATV's and motorcycles (not salvaged, but from private parties with clean VIN's, titles, ect...) and part out and sell on eBay. What requirements must I meet to do so in Ohio?
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

If you are going to be selling these vehicles in Ohio, you are required to have a motor vehicle dealer's license, which means you need to first form an LLC and then file with the DMV to apply for a motor vehicle dealer's license to sell vehicles in OH. If you are going to sell only parts, then you do not need any license to sell these parts on eBay or anywhere online and all you should do is form an LLC and get a Tax ID from the IRS for the LLC, this protects you from personal liability in case the company is sued. You will have to pay sales tax to OH for any part sold to an OH resident even online and will have to charge them sales tax, but on sales out of state any sales tax is the liability of the buyer.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

This is NOT the practice of law nor is it legal advice to you, it is merely educational information for you to use to seek out a licensed attorney in your state to get actual legal advice from them. Please use sites such as or or to find a local attorney to get actual legal advice in all matters.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

And if I bought salvaged titled motorcycles and ATV's from say COPart would parted them out would this still apply???

Thank you for your response.

Yes, if you are parting them out it would still apply.