Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney experienced in commercial litigation.

What is a "mental Disorder" under the California Competence

What is a "mental Disorder" under the California Competence statute 1368 PC? Can a Personality Disorder form the basis for Incompetence?
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Under CA law,

A defendant is considered mentally incompetent, and thus unable to stand trial, if either of the following is true: 1) they are unable to understand the nature of the criminal proceedings (i.e., what is going on in the trial and why), OR 2) they are unable to assist their lawyer in a rational manner. See: Penal Code 1367(a) PC.

Thus, in order for a personality disorder to be considered a sufficient mental defect it must meet one of those two criteria.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

This is NOT the practice of law nor is it legal advice to you, it is merely educational information for you to use to seek out a licensed attorney in your state to get actual legal advice from them. Please use sites such as or or to find a local attorney to get actual legal advice in all matters.