Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience:  Experienced Licensed Attorney

Even though I have responded to a collection attorney in Seattle

Even though I have responded to a collection attorney in Seattle twice with certified letter saying I would find a way to make payments on my outstanding debt owed Target, though I live on Social Security, he has summoned me to superior court in about 2 weeks for a "motion and declaration for default and judgment." Can he lien my Social Security or my 20 yr old vehicle? I own no property. I owe Target $3734.06; and attorney is expecting me to pay additional "costs and disbursements" totaling $302.50 as well.
Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to answer your question.

I am sorry to hear about this unfortunate situation.

The SS income cannot be garnished to enforce an unsecured default judgment, however a personal vehicle can be seized / levied if a default judgment is obtained by the creditor.

It might be a good idea to try to negotiate monthly payments that you can afford, in order to settle this claim and avoide any type of judgment or collection action.

I wish you the best of luck!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Sir, I stated to you that I have already tried to negotiate monthly payments by certified mail, and that this already IS a collection action as he is a collection attorney. In court, is further negotiation possible?

Thank you for your follow up.

Even if the lawsuit is filed, a negotiation of a settlement can take place after the lawsuit is filed and you can also ask the court to order a mediation (settlement conference with a neutral mediator trained to help parties settle disputes) and a settlement can still be reached that would permit you to make low monthly payment to repay this account.

Thank you.