Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney experienced in commercial litigation.

we bought car. car dealer did not disclose anything about accident

we bought car. car dealer did not disclose anything about accident that car was involved in. year later when we tried to trade car for better fuel efficiency car, value of car is significantly down because of accident. what are my rights?
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Did the dealer provide you a car fax report or did you ask about any damages and the dealer misrepresented the damages?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

My husband said he remembers that they shoved him clean car fax. when i asked about this last week he said he is not required to say anything because it did not happend in his (car dealer) possesion?

Thank you for your response.

The dealer is correct that in a used car sale in Missouri is considered as is, which means it is up to the buyer to beware as the courts state. The exception to this is if the dealer knew or should have known about the damage and if they intentionally deceived you with a clean car fax or intentionally failed to disclose and misrepresented when you asked them about it. In that event, the dealer has violated the implied warranty of good faith and would be liable to you for that as well as an unfair and deceptive business practice for which you could report them to the dealer licensing unit of the DMV in addition to the Attorney General on top of suing them for the damages their misrepresentation caused.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

This is NOT the practice of law nor is it legal advice to you, it is merely educational information for you to use to seek out a licensed attorney in your state to get actual legal advice from them. Please use sites such as or or to find a local attorney to get actual legal advice in all matters.