lwpat, Attorney at Law
Experience:  35 years of business experience and a practicing attorney.

Hi, we hired a company to make a short film with my son and

Hi, we hired a company to make a short film with my son and his friends for his 10th birthday party. The day of filming itself went well but we are still waiting more than 5 months later to get a set of DVDs of the finished film for my son and his friends. We have sent the company numerous emails and phone messages which have remained unanswered. We paid the company in full ($750) and should have received the DVDs and an online version as part of our agreement. What options do I have to resolve this?
Thanks for using JA. I will do my best to answer your questions. DON’T FORGET, your deposit is not used to compensate me until you rate my service.

I am extremely sorry to hear that you are having this problem. You are absolutely legally entitled to receive what you have paid for. Usually the first place to start is to file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau and see if they can contact the business and resolve the issue. Here is that link.

Your next option is to file a small claims lawsuit against the company. You have to do that with the court that covers or has jurisdiction over their physical location. That information on how to file is too long to post here but the court does have a self help website that will walk you through the filing process and you will not need an attorney. Here is that link

You have to file against the business name, not the individual and you may need to serve their registered agent. You can find that information at the Secretary of State website at

Usually when the BBB calls that will resolve the issue assuming that they are a legitimate company and still in business.

I appreciate the opportunity to be of service to you today and if you need further clarification please continue. Thanks