stevewlaw
stevewlaw, Lawyer
Experience:  25+ years and millions of dollars in settlements representing consumers injured by defective products.
73182738

I am a first time car lessee and leased my car on Sunday. I

I am a first time car lessee and leased my car on Sunday. I purchased insurance online and gave the auto policy to the car dealership. They approved my lease, gave me the keys and I drove away in a brand new Toyota. Only to get into an accident the next day while trying to park on a hill, I discover that my very expensive policy is liability only and not comprehensive. Is it the car dealer's obligation to disclose this information that I did not have the proper insurance? My lease states that I have full coverage and I do not. Do I have any legal recourse here?

stevewlaw :

Hi [USERNAME], my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do the best to help you. My advice is general only and does not create an attorney-client relationship. Did you give your insurance ID card info to the dealership or a copy of the actual policy with declarations page?

Customer:

yes

stevewlaw :

I am sorry, what exactly did you give them my friend? I am so sorry to hear about this.

Customer:

the insurance card info and a copy of the actual policy

Customer:

the insurance card info and verification of insurance

stevewlaw :

What does your insurance card actually say with regard to your coverage? I have progressive and mine says nothing about the type of coverage that I have.

Customer:

i have progressive

Customer:

it lists the coverage information

stevewlaw :

does it say liability only, no comp no collision???

Customer:

on the verification form

Customer:

its says liability to others bodily injury liability $25,000 each person/$50,000 each accident

stevewlaw :

can you scan and show me what you showed them on the card .... not the policy.

Customer:

mandatory personal injury protection $50,000 each person deductible: $200

Customer:

give me a sec

stevewlaw :

the problem you will have is that you signed a document (I have 2 leased cars) that says you will maintain coverage on the car covering the car and with certain minimum bodily injury liability limits. Unfortunately it is not the dealers responsibility to interpret your car insurance coverage - however they should share part of the blame, but the lions share of the responsibility will unfortunately fall on your shoulders I am sorry to say. You should have known what kind of insurance you had. Insuring the car is your responsibility. I always hate being the bearer of bad news my friend. But when you signed a contract saying you had and will maintain insurance on the car (because it belongs to the lessor) and you failed to have that insurance, you are in breach of contract as well.

Customer:

ok

Customer:

so there is nothing that I can do

stevewlaw :

I can only hope that the damage was not that great. You should find a decent body shop, ask for references from friends, co-workers, etc. Get some estimates and choose the cheapest one. IF your car is driveable and you can't afford to get it fixed right now, get it repaired later when you can afford it. BUT GET THAT REQUIRED INSURANCE RIGHT NOW. CALL YOUR PROGESSIVE TOLL FREE NUMBER AND TELL THEM YOU JUST BOUGHT A NEW CAR AND NEED IT COVERED PER YOUR LEASE.

stevewlaw :

Unfortunately there is not really anything you can do.

stevewlaw :

Even though I am the bearer of bad news, I would appreciate your positive rating. Please let me know how things turn out.

Customer:

I wouldn't go through progressive again

Customer:

there's a lot of damage

Customer:

probably 8-9K

stevewlaw :

Ugh! I am so sorry.

Customer:

this is the worst experience

Customer:

thank you for your help

stevewlaw :

you're welcome. Again, I am so sorry.

stevewlaw :

Thank you again for your positive rating.