Marsha411JD, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed Attorney with 29 yrs exp with Consumer Law issues
19127644

Is collecting on gambling debts legal in florida? Can they

Is collecting on gambling debts legal in florida? Can they report it to the credit bureaus?

Thank you for your question. The only gambling debts that would collectible are those that are owed to legal establishments. For example, if there was a debt owed to one of the legal casinos, then yes, that could be collected. However, a gambling debt based on an illegal operations is not a legally enforceable debt.

A legal gambling debt could only be reported to the credit reporting bureau if it was reduced to a judgment.

Please let me know if you need any clarification. I would be glad to assist you further if I can.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

What do you mean reduced to a judgement? I have had my debt reported to the credit bureau's. I was never notified of the debt, and I was not notified that the debt would be reported to the credit bureau.

What I mean is that they sue you for the debt and a court finds in their favor. If there is a mistake on your credit report, you need to write to the credit bureau and ask them to remove it.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

So you are saying that this is debt can not be reported to the credit bureau?

I can't comment on your specific debt since I don't have all of information, including that from the alleged debt holder. I can only tell you what the law is, which I have done. An illegal gambling debt cannot be collected, period. If it is a legal debt, then it can be collected and reported to a credit bureau only if the holder of the debt can produce an acknowledgment of the debt by you or they have a judgment. That is the law.