Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney experienced in commercial litigation.

if you sign your legal rights away of a child if you sign your

if you sign your legal rights away of a child if you sign your right s away can you be sued for child support and how do you go about doing it my grson has to go mon for a dna test to see if he is father he wants nothing to do with the baby because of circumstances and we need answer
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

In Louisiana, parental rights and child support are separate issues. This means that signing away parental rights does not absolve a party of their obligation legally to provide child support, so he could sign away his rights and still have to pay support. Even if he tries to get a signed agreement from the mother waiving rights to child support in exchange for him terminating his parental rights, if the court finds that the child needs care and the mom cannot provide that care, then the court could void that agreement as unconscionable and not in the best interests of the child.

Thus, you need to contact a local attorney and get him representation to deal with negotiating and getting approved by a court an agreement where he terminates rights to try to protect him at least with a minimum support payment.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

This is NOT the practice of law nor is it legal advice to you, it is merely educational information for you to use to seek out a licensed attorney in your state to get actual legal advice from them. Please use sites such as or or to find a local attorney to get actual legal advice in all matters.