Loren, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years experience in general legal matters.
17897874

I live in Lewis County, Washington State. I had bought an item

Customer Question

I live in Lewis County, Washington State. I had bought an item from a store, I ended up not needing to use it. I went back to return the item the next day, there are no signs or note on receipt about no cash back returns. I asked it I could return the unopened items and the woman was very rude and stated that she does not give cash back only credit. I let her know that this was not a store that I shop in, this was the 2nd time in 2 yrs. She then told me to sue her. I took pictures of the inside of her store and door to show that there is no notice about return policy, and she openly admitted it to everyone that she does not. If I filed a civil suit could I get my money back? I still have items with receipt to show. Thank you, Angel
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for using JustAnswer. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I will do whatever I can to answer your question and provide you excellent service.

I am sorry to hear of your dilemma.   I realize how frustrating this is for you and I hope to provide you information which is accurate and useful, even though it may not be the news you were hoping to get.

If the item was defective then you certainly stand an excellent chance of recovering against the store in small claims court.

Unfortunately, if the item was not defective then the store is not legally obligated to take back the product and refund your money. It may be good for customer relations but, legally, they are free to sett heir own return policy.

I realize this is probably not the answer you were hoping to receive.  Also, please remember that this is not necessarily a moral judgement on my part.   As a professional, however, I am sometimes placed in the position of having to deliver news which is not favorable to a customer's legal position, but accurately reflects their position under the law. I hate it, but it happens and I only ask that you not penalize me with a bad or poor rating for having to deliver less than favorable news.

It is my privilege to assist you. Let me know if you need further information.  I hope I have helped you beyond your expectations in the service I have provided to you.  I am here for you.
Also, be sure to verify this information with a local attorney who is familiar with your local laws and procedures.

Please remember to rate my answer when our communication is completed so I will be compensated for my time in providing you with the information you requested.

If you feel the need to provide a low rating, please stop and reply to me via the REPLY button with whatever issue or clarification you may need. I will happily answer your follow-up questions and assist you until I am able to explain the answer to your satisfaction. Please also remember that I cannot control whether the law is favorable to your situation, so please do not penalize me for having to deliver bad news.

Thank you.

Loren, Lawyer
Experience: 30 years experience in general legal matters.
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your positive rating of my service to you. Let me know if you need more help or have future questions. I will be here for you. Just ask for me by name at the start of your question - "Loren" or use the following link (which you can bookmark in your browser):  http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-Loren/

Best wishes and good luck to you.

If it is not too much trouble, Angel, when you receive a Customer Satisfaction Survey from JA/Pearl in a day or two, please consider rating me highly (9 or 10). It affects my ability to continue to assist you and other customers on JA/Pearl and would be most appreciated.