Law Pro, Lawyer
Experience:  20 years experience in consumer advocacy, debt collection violations, contracts, construction

My son and his father have names that are similar. This causes

My son and his father have names that are similar. This causes confusion with insurances and hospitals since my son is known by his middle name. The insurance company claims that I must legally change his name to have it so with the company. My son has two insurers. The first company did so without question but the second company claims that it is not permitted without a legal name change. Is this true? Is there another way?
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Law Pro replied 5 months ago.
Hi! My name is XXXXX XXXXX X'll be the attorney assisting you.

My full name isXXXXX IV

So I have an idea what you are talking about. My father went by his middle name, William, so that when someone would call, "Fred" - no everyone would look.

What insurance company is telling you -
The insurance company claims that I must legally change his name to have it so with the company. ???
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Blue Cross Blue Shield
Actually the employers secretary claims that the insurance representative told him this
Expert:  Law Pro replied 5 months ago.
After review of your question again - the insurance company is absolutely correct.

I can't believe that the one insurance carrier would do such.

They can't change the name on the policy to lessen potential confusion.

That although there sometimes is confusion as between the two - there are so many ways of determining who is who. For example - their names ARE XXXXX XXXXX date of birth IS different. Their social security numbers ARE different.

When one is filling out insurance forms - then you would then reference the additional information.

But it's absolutely not legal to change someone's name on an insurance policy without their legal name being changed through the court system.

I am sorry that I don’t have better news, but please understand that I do have an ethical and professional obligation to provide customers with legally correct answers, even when an answer is not favorable to the customer.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.

Since the name is XXXXX XXXXX name and is traditional for all male children to have the initials, My husband would not be agreeable to the legal change. Is there a way to do it so that he is recognized by his middle name but still keeps the family name as well? For example...doing business as Luke Haskell but legally known as Rodney Luke Haskell. I recall we bought a car through our business and titled it this way.

Expert:  Law Pro replied 5 months ago.
I understand your husband's attitude completely.

You can place the name on the title of a vehicle however you wish.

But, when dealing with insurance - health insurance - you have to go with someone's legal name. Moreover, as with tax returns one must use their legal name.

When dealing with insurance - since it's an "individual" person and not a business - one can't use a dba.

However, my father went by F. William Freitag III.

I go by Fred W. Freitag IV.

My grandfather went by Fred W. Freitag.

Now there were many times that my father had (as I do sometimes) to use his first name along with his full middle name.

But that would be the limits of how you could "change" his name.

Law Pro, Lawyer
Experience: 20 years experience in consumer advocacy, debt collection violations, contracts, construction