John, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed and practicing attorney experienced in consumer protection law.

My mom Received a SUMMON (CITATION JUDICIAL) from: The Superior

My mom Received a SUMMON (CITATION JUDICIAL) from: Superior Court of California, North Valley District-Chatsworth Courthouse For a credit card debt of $8,748.39 Limited Case, on behalf of MIDLAND FUNDING, she is 62 years old, and since she couldn't find a job , she left to Spain where the cost of living is cheaper, and family members around to help, She is now in Spain and coming back every year to look for a job and keep her Green Card alive, - Last several years she has been making on a freelance work between $4200- $4400, She keeps filing her taxes regularly in the US, as to file for her retirement when the age permits, Since her income is less than what she needs to survive, she can’t pay the money she owes -She has NO properties, NO jewelry, NO Money or Assets, she will be coming back to US to apply for US citizenship sometime next year, however she doesn’t think she will be able to find any fix job,- She depends on help from some family members. Having in mind her not having any assets, what are the pros and cons not contesting to this summon.

Hi, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I’m happy to assist you with your question today.

California is a fairly debtor friendly state. The only real con in this matter is her credit rating, which is used for a number of things including job background checks, loans and overall credit score (which is used for any number of things). Otherwise, if she doesn't have anything that can be levied by way of judgment against her, there will be no financial harm to her. Even if she qualified for social security, those funds cannot be taken by creditors.

I believe this answers your question. However, if you need clarification or have follow-up questions regarding this matter, I will be happy to continue our conversation – simply reply to this answer. If you are otherwise satisfied with my response, please leave a positive rating as it is the only way I am able to get credit for my answers. Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX wish you all the best with this matter.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for very explicit explanation, just one more thing that worries us, does judgement, Bankruptcy or debt interfere in getting Citizenship?

No it doesn't. Citizenship wold only be affected by serious criminal activity and crimes against the U.S.

Hope this helps. Let me know if I can be of further assistance. Thanks.