Andrea, Esq.
Andrea, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  25 yrs. of experience in employment law, real estate and business law, family law, criminal defense and immigration.
20073497

I rented three (3) storage units in Michigan in 2008 and I

I rented three (3) storage units in Michigan in 2008 and I have kept up the payments (my name is XXXXX XXXXX name on the original contract). I let my boyfriend store some of his items in my units when I first leased them, and his things have been in there with mine since 2008, and he cannot have entry without my authorization. We separated a few months ago and I am now relocated to Virginia and have no way to immediately go back for my things. Since I was at risk for the units going to auction, my ex-boyfriend offered to (finally) pay a few months to bring it up to date. He called in the payment of $350 with his MasterCard on October 9th and it was approved. The storage manager mailed the receipt to me in Virginia on the same date. My ex-boyfriend called and asked me to authorize him to go into the units, and he wanted to provide me with a list of the items he wants to remove. I told him he has to wait until whenever I can be there myself because the storage manager will not monitor what he removes. The manager called me today and said he is demanding a refund of his payment. She said she called their attorney and has been advised that she has no choice but to refund his money and I will have to repay the full amount.. QUESTION: Do I have to pay the full amount all over again since they accepted his payment, approved it and I HAVE THE ITEMIZED RECEIPT DATED OCTOBER 9th ???
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Andrea, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be glad to assist you in any way that I can,

The storage company should not refund your former boyfriend any money and you should not have to pay the storage company and here is the reason why -

The storage company is really only interested in receiving payment for use of its storage units. They received payment for the unit you are using and issued you a receipt for the $350 payment. The storage company has no knowledge of what arrangements you made with your former boyfriend and they have no duty to him.

Please allow me to give you two examples of why the storage company should not refund the money to anyone.

1. Let us assume that you had paid your former boyfriend this money with directions to pay it over to the storage company and he used his credit card to pay the storage fee;

2. Let us assume that you had loaned your former boyfriend $350 three months ago. He called and told you that he was going to send you the $350 that he owed you, but you told him rather than send you the money he owed you, to pay it to the storage company and you would call it even.

In both of the above examples, the storage fee of $350 was money that was owed to you by your former boyfriend and you directed him to pay it to the storage company. If the storage company refunds the money to him, you would be out your $350.

If the storage company refunds the $350 to your former boyfriend, it will be at their own peril because they will not be able to look to you for payment. If the storage company makes demand on you for payment of the $350 because you have the receipt they issued to you as proof of payment which would be competent evidence of payment and they cannot hold you responsible for their mistake in refunding the $350 to your former boyfriend,

lease be kind enough to rate Excellent Service" so that I receive credit for assisting you, it will not cost you anything additional to give me a positive rating, and that is the only way I can receive credit, Thank you for understanding,

Positive Feedback and Bonus are always welcome,

If you receive a Customer Satisfaction Survey from JustAnswer, Please rate a 10 as it gives me a greater opportunity to assist other customers on this website and is greatly appreciated,

Thank you for allowing me the opportunity to assist you,

ANDREA

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Oh my goodness, Dear ~ you are truly kind. In fact, YOU ROCK . . . indeed, YOU RULE !!! I thank you so very much for answering me so promptly AND so thoroughly.

I was just on the phone with the storage manager and told her I spoke with my attorney and gave her the botXXXXX XXXXXne of your advice . . . I also asked her if she had mentioned to the storage company attorney that she MAILED ME AN ITEMIZED RECEIPT. She, of course, did not mention that detail to him, so I suggested she should call him and let him know because it will probably change his advice.

In any event, I will gladly give you an excellent rating. Thank you a million times and I hope you will have a wonderful evening ~ God bless you !!

You are very kind, Marquerite, Thank you so much for the compliment, It's nice to be appreciated and it was my pleasure assisting you,

Yes, I would appreciate an Excellent Service rating. I wish you the best of luck and if they make any kind of demand for payment from you, let me know and we'll send them a nasty letter to put them in their place once and for all,

Please be kind enough to rate Excellent Service" so that I receive credit for assisting you, it will not cost you anything additional to give me a positive rating, and that is the only way I can receive credit, Thank you for understanding,

ANDREA

Andrea, Esq., Lawyer
Experience: 25 yrs. of experience in employment law, real estate and business law, family law, criminal defense and immigration.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes, I will definitely ask for you again if I have further problems with this issue. For that matter, if I need to contact this site again, I will specifically request you because YOU ARE THE BEST !!!

No problem, Marqurite, that is what I am here for, Please feel free to ask for me by typing my name at the beginning of your question, like this,

"For Andrea ..........."

Please do not forget to leave a rating because that is the only way I receive credit for assisting you, and it does not cost you anything additional to leave a positive rating,

Thank you again for allowing me to be of service,

ANDREA