Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.

Vanguard has frozen my 401k account due to a returned letter.

Vanguard has frozen my 401k account due to a returned letter. The message on my online account states that my funds turned over to the state as unclaimed property if I do not contact them immediately to change my address, which is very threatening and stress-inducing. I would very much like to change my address and unlock my account.

After long hold times, I was told that I need to mail in a notarized change of address form, which has to be received within 30 days of notarization. This is an onerous request for several reasons:

1) I live overseas,where notarization is expensive ($50) and takes time away from work.
2) The mail system where I live is slow and unreliable - the letter would not likely arrive, and if it did, would not arrive within 30 days.
3) If I use an international courier to mail the letter, that would cost about $100.

I am not clear what additional security is obtained by requiring me to pay $150+ and take time from work just to change the address on my account. I provided security information on the phone, and also when I log in, so why won't they permit me to change my address over the phone or online?

Is there anything else I can do to convince Vanguard to unlock my account? What happens when the funds are turned over to the state? How can I claim the funds then? Will they tell me which state will have my funds? The account was opened for me from overseas by a former employer.

Hope you can advise. Thanks!
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 9 months ago.

Ray :

Hi and welcome to JA.My name is XXXXX XXXXX X will be assisting you today.

Ray :

You certainly may choose to seek an accounting and removal of trustee through the courts.If you are unhappy with your lawyer you may choose to terminate current lawyer and seek a new one.And yes you can seek to be awarded lawyer fees if you prevail in this matter.

Ray :

The trustee may have personal liability as well if you can show loss of funds or other acts here that violate his fiduciary duties to you and the trust.

Ray :

Here is reference to the process of removal and accounting.And claims against the trustee as well.

Ray :

You do have remedies here and you may seek to have court award lawyer fees if you prevail in removing the trustee and related claims.

Ray :

You certainly appear to have some good facts to pursue this and you may want to consider a new lawyer to do so.

Customer:

Hi, are your comments address to me or to someone else?

Ray :

No they are addressed to you and your situation.

Ray :

I am sorry let me opt out here this went to the wrong question.No need for you to do anything another expert will pick this up.Thanks for your patience here sorry for the site problem.

Ray :

Please do not rate and stand by.

Ray :

Thanks again for your patience.

Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 9 months ago.
Hello: This is PhillipsEsq. I am a licensed Attorney and I will be assisting you today.

Is there anything else I can do to convince Vanguard to unlock my account?

Response 1: You should ask to speak with a Supervisor to see if you can you use verification of personal information along with the questions that you have answered previously in order to unlock your account.

What happens when the funds are turned over to the state?

Response 2
: You have to contact the State's unclaimed funds department to request the return of your funds. You have to complete certain forms in order to verify your identity and ownership of the funds.

How can I claim the funds then?

Response 3:
See my previous response.

Will they tell me which state will have my funds? The account was opened for me from overseas by a former employer.

Response 4:
Your funds would be turned over to the treasury department of the state where your old address is.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Thanks. XXXXX have any legal recourse if they continue to refuse to unlock my account? Would a letter from a lawyer help? Or are they within legal bounds in their refusal to unlock my account? I have made good faith effort to claim my funds - are they within legal bounds to continue to withhold the funds from me and threaten to reclassify the funds as 'unclaimed property'?

Response 4 - The old address was an overseas address. I have been living overseas since the inception of the account. So I'm still unclear what state they would assign my funds to. Is there a default state used for overseas addresses?

Thanks. Do I have any legal recourse if they continue to refuse to unlock my account?

Response 1: You can sue them to force them to unlock the account. However, the lawsuit would be much more expensive that the Notary and mailing fees that you are trying to avoid.

Would a letter from a lawyer help?

Response 2: Not really.

Or are they within legal bounds in their refusal to unlock my account?

Response 3: They are.

I have made good faith effort to claim my funds - are they within legal bounds to continue to withhold the funds from me and threaten to reclassify the funds as 'unclaimed property'?

Response 4: Yes, they are, unfortunately.

Response 5: The funds would be turned over to the Treasury Department of the State where the company is located.

Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience: B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.