LegalGems, Lawyer
Experience:  Research Attorney; Private Practice; Attorney Mentor; Mediator

Recently I was taken by ambulance to a hospital after a minor

Recently I was taken by ambulance to a hospital after a minor fainting episode. The ambulance service transporting me to the hospital is a local volunteer EMS. Halfway to the hospital, which was five minutes away, they stopped to allow EMT's from St. Joseph's Hospital to examine me. I questioned this but was told it is routine procedure. The EMT's quickly took some vitals and left after 5 minutes.
I received a bill for this service for $1,900. A service I did not request and felt was completely unnecessary since I was not in a critical condition.
I live in Passaic County NJ and would like to know the best agency to report a claim of excessive charges for a service that I did not specifically request.
Thank You

LegalGems :

Hi! LegalGems here. I have extensive consumer law experience and will use this to assist you with your issue today. I am sorry to hear of this. Please see the attached, specifically 8:40-6.1 on page 57-58 regarding when transportation is permissible: I could not find any regulation that authorized an ambulance to pull over to allow other EMTs to examine the patient, as generally the idea is to get the patient to the hospital. You can contact the agency that oversees EMT's here: While there is not a formal complaint process, I'm sure a supervisor/manager would want to hear of this.

LegalGems :

This agency typically deals with complaints about facilities, but presumably the ambulance is associated with a facility (the hospital they were taking you to), so a complaint can be lodged here:

LegalGems :

Presumably the services were duplicative of those that would be received in the hospital.

I hope you found the information I provided useful. Keep in mind that medical providers are generally quite willing to negotiate on the balance owing, since they are accustomed to negotiating with insurance companies.
Future requests can be labeled "TO LEGAL GEMS" followed by your question.

It would be appreciated if you complete the admin's survey - it's like our report card!

Thanks, and take care!