Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience:  Experienced Licensed Attorney

I just bought a used vehicle from a dealership with 140k miles

I just bought a used vehicle from a dealership with 140k miles on it and a clean title. A week after I bought it, I took it to a mechanic to have the brake rotors checked because the car vibrated when braking. After inspecting it, he said that it would cost almost as much as the vehicle was worth to repair all of the rust damage to the brakes and suspension and missing cotter pins, faulty ball joints, etc. he said it was unethical
For the dealership to have sold the vehicle to me in the first place. I took the list to the dealership and they asked to look at the vehicle to confirm the list, to which I acquiesced. They called me back and confirmed the issues but took no responsibility for them and want to charge me for the repairs in order to make the vehicle safe to drive.

Do I have a legal recourse? Or am I out of luck?
Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to answer your question.

I am sorry to hear about this unfortunate situation.

Was this vehicle sold to you in "as is" condition without any written warranty by this dealer?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes it was
Dear Drew,

Thank you for your follow up.

Unfortunately, is this used vehicle was sold to you in "as is" condition without any written warranty, it would have been up to you to exercise due diligence prior to purchasing this used car and to have the vehicle inspected by a local licensed mechanic prior to purchase, since one a used vehicle is purchased in "as is" condition, the buyer does not have any legal recourse against the dealer, unless the buyer has clear evidence that dealer made material misrepresentations prior to the sale or engaged in some other deceitful or fraudulent business practice, in order to induce the sale of the used vehicle.

I am very sorry about this situation and I wish you the best of luck!