Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience:  Experienced Licensed Attorney

I live in new jersey. A contractor did my roof and the insurance

I live in new jersey. A contractor did my roof and the insurance company took so long to send me the payment he sent me to collections and now I have a court officer telling me I have a Levy against me and he gonna send a sheriff to my home to do inventory on my items to sell them. He has tacked another thousand dollars on the bill which it is now 4500.00. I told him they only sent 3600.00 he said not accepting. I saw the contractor in the home Depot he said to call him when I get the check and he would accept that. Can I just pay the contractor now and have him sign off on the job with this levy on me now?
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 9 months ago.
Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX X will be happy to answer your question.

I am sorry to hear about this unfortunate situation.

What is extra $1000 for and who is charging this costs?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

This took place in Essex county. Newark. the court officer who has been harassing me for the payment to the contractor. original amount was 3600.00 added cost 4600.00.

Dear XXXXX,

Thank you for your follow up.

Did this contractor obtain a written judgment or lien against you for $4,600.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

I'm not sure I never received any papers except what the court officer said the judgment amount was for. No court papers or anything.

Thank you for your follow up.

Are you sure that you were in fact contacted by the court officer?

Did you verify it and did you see any court documents?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

No, just received a letter from him saying he is a court officer collecting a debt. Nothing certified, no valid return address. Just a phone number for him. Telling me to make sure I send the check in his name. Not the contractor.

Dear XXXXX,

Thank you for your follow up.

This sounds like a scam and I would suggest that you do contact local court and also a local attorney to determine if there is any type of a lien or judgment that had ever been issued by the local court, as you would have to be served with the court documents as part of the legal due process and this simply appears that some collection agent or a scammer is trying to intimidate you into paying this contractor for the services performed, so you need to contact your local court and also your local attorney to verify this claim, before making any payments or further discussing this claim with this "court officer".

I wish you the best of luck!
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience: Experienced Licensed Attorney