Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience:  Experienced Licensed Attorney
26296561

I was on a cruise ship when I was bitten by Bed bugs. The

I was on a cruise ship when I was bitten by Bed bugs. The cruise ship earlier agreed to reimburse the cost of the cruise but later paid a much smaller amount. Do I have a recourse to legal action against them or not. If yes, what I can do and how much it will cost and how much time will it take.
Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to answer your question.

I am sorry to hear about this unfortunate situation.

When and which company did you cruise with?

Did you accept a partial refund and did you sign any type of document in order to receive your partial refund?

Did you suffer any permanent health damage as the result of the bedbug bites?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I was on a cruise ship with Princess Cruise Ship in August 2013 - from San Francisco to Alaska and back. No we did not sign any document to receive the partial payment. Though there was no permanent health damage though I had itching for about a week and had to consult my physician who prescribed an ointment to reduce the itching. Though when the bugs were initially found in the room, we were half way through the cruise and it ruined the mood.

Dear Dinesh,

Thank you for your follow up.

Did the ship management or employee make any written promise to you of a full refund at any point?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No written promise was made though when we contacted them on phone, one of the employee at the Corporate Office, who was handling the case, mentioned that either the full amount of the cruise ticket will be reimbursed or they will provide a free ticket for another cruise for me and my wife. Later, they said that the maximum amount they will pay is $ 1000 only. When we received the payment it was even less than $ 1000 and the caption read "full & final payment" in response to the case.

Dear Dinesh,

Did the cruiseline mail you a check and did you accept this partial refund check and cashed it already?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No the check has not been encashed so far.

Dear Dinesh,

Thank you for your follow up.

It is up to you whether to cash the check, which would constitute that you are agreeing to accept this partial refund as a settlement in full of your claim related to bedbugs, or to pursue this claim further, however generally it is difficult to pursue claims that result from incidents that take place on the cruise ships, as such claims have to be pursued in the Federal court and are subject to maritime laws and generally, unless a person has suffered some major and permanent injury or death as a result of a cruise ship incident, in which the cruise ship was negligent, it is generally not practical to pursue smaller or minor claims, due to the extremely high cost of litigation and legal fees and also the fact that it can take years before the case is heard.

It might however be worth your while to contact cruise ship again and try to speak to the upper management to determine if you can possibly receive a free cruise or a cruise discount, in additional to this partial refund.

I wish you the best of luck!